Associate Editor, Places
Atlas Obscura is hiring an Associate Editor to help us grow and maintain our definitive guide to the world’s hidden wonders. Thousands of people have contributed to the Atlas, our compendium of more than 23,000 hidden wonders around the world. As the Associate Editor, Places, you'll help build that community and share the stories of even more incredible places.
You will edit entries written by our staff, freelancers, and our community of readers and explorers, and have the opportunity to pitch and write entries of your own. For this role, you’ll need research, editing, and web production skills to create place entries that are both awe-inspiring and accurate. You’ll ensure that all newly published user-submitted entries are vetted and properly formatted. And you’ll regularly engage with our most active readers and contributors to answer questions and encourage engagement with the Atlas both on the website and in our app.
This is a great role if you’re a history, science, culture, or geography enthusiast who wants to join a growing media company, help manage new projects, and inspire people to have wondrous experiences.
Atlas Obscura is remote-first, which means you can live and work from anywhere within the continental United States or Canada during the fellowship. At Atlas Obscura, we also believe exploration is for everyone and encourage diverse applicants. We are committed to an equitable hiring process and an inclusive work environment.
- Editing original and user-generated content about the world’s hidden wonders and curious travel destinations.
- Writing and researching new places entries.
- Communicating with users who need help or feedback on their submissions.
- Reviewing user-submitted edits for existing place entries and updating accordingly.
- Creating themed lists and other editorial products that feature places from the Atlas.
- Occasionally collaborating with other teams at Atlas Obscura, including Product, Design, and Brand Partnerships.
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
- At least 1 to 2 years of experience in digital media, journalism, publishing, or related fields
- Outstanding editing and research skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Familiarity with content management systems and project management software
- Passion for Atlas Obscura’s mission of instilling a sense of wonder in our audience
- Experience with photo research and/or photography is a plus, but not required
You’ll Get Noticed If:
- You're especially knowledgeable about geography, travel, or any of the other topics we cover.
- You have experience in building digital communities and/or customer support. (Previous experience with user-generated content is a big plus!)
- You like to ask questions and you’re not afraid to challenge the status quo.
About Atlas Obscura
Atlas Obscura is an award-winning travel company founded in 2009. Widely celebrated for building the definitive, community-driven guide to the world's hidden wonders, the company also creates insightful journalism, offers unique online and in-person experiences, produces once-in-a-lifetime trips, and has published two New York Times bestselling books with more than a million copies in print. Atlas Obscura has been nominated for three National Magazine Awards, a James Beard Award, three Webby Awards, and in 2020 was named one of Inc. 5000’s fastest-growing companies.
Please apply with a résumé, cover letter, and three work samples using the link below. (For samples of editing work, please include a short description of why you're particularly proud of your involvement in the final product.)